In 2019, I did quite a bit of research on how to build my own capsule wardrobe.
My husband and I have been traveling full-time since 2016, which meant that I needed to get better at downsizing.
However, I also wanted to make sure I looked fashionable; I was tired of wearing jeans and t-shirts a lot of the time.
So down below, I’m going to teach you a few things about what a capsule wardrobe is and how you can build your own. 🙂
What is a Capsule Wardrobe?
To put it simply, a capsule wardrobe is a smaller selection of clothing pieces that all compliment each other.
You want to make sure that each piece goes with each other because this allows you to have more variety when it comes to building outfits.
Capsule wardrobes do not contain anything that are stand alone pieces. They simply work together in harmony to make sure you look your best.
Also, they are normally comprised of neutral colors with maybe one hue as the defining color.
And lastly, a capsule wardrobe is made up of the classics. They are pieces of clothing that stay in style and don’t require you to replace them that very next year.
Side Note: I would recommend creating a capsule wardrobe for each season of the year.
So How Do You Build a Capsule Wardrobe?
For now, I am going to give 10 simple tips on how to build your very own capsule wardrobe.
I will make sure to update it more later on. 🙂
1. Know the basics: When it comes to basics, you’ll want to understand what season you are building a capsule wardrobe for.
So for instance, if it’s fall, you’ll want to have something like:
- Two pairs of pants
- Two coats
- Two sweaters
- A blouse
- 2-3 t-shirts
- 2 long-sleeved shirts
- A skirt
- A dress
- 1-2 scarves
- Weather appropriate shoes
Of course you can do your own research and figure out what is best for you, but it’s always good to understand the basics and what you’re going to need.
2. Look over your closet: Take note of what you already have. What basics and essentials do you already own that could easily work with basically any outfit? This is also a good time to get rid of anything you don’t wear anymore and recycle your old clothes.
3. Write down the pieces you want to add to your capsule wardrobe before shopping: It’s important to be strategic before you go shopping. You don’t want to spend hours at different shops hoping to get exactly what you want. You want to go in there with a plan so that you don’t waste your time + you don’t buy anything you don’t need.
4. If they don’t have what you want, don’t buy: This one has saved me so much stress and money! It’s so easy to want to go to the store and buy everything you need. But then they don’t have it and you’re feeling stressed and frustrated. And then the next thing you want to do is buy something because you’re kind of desperate to get something and not walk out empty handed.
Don’t, just give yourself the permission to walk out and come back another time. Or just try out a new mall or outlet next week. 🙂
5. Try building your capsule wardrobe off of one color: I’m not saying make the majority of your pieces this color. What I am saying though is that it’s a great idea to pick one color, such as a soft pink, and build you wardrobe to work with that.
6. It’s ok to have one pattern piece if you want: For those of you who love patterns, I think having a fun pattern (but nothing too crazy) is a great idea. Example, you have a pretty white blouse with a cute pink floral pattern, or a dress with a similar pattern. Just make sure that it works with the other pieces in your wardrobe and you’re all set!
And that’s it! Build out your plan for your own capsule wardrobe and have fun with creating something that looks great on you while also simplifying your life.