Wish the BMI Calculator took into account age and gender? Then see our BAI (Body Adiposity Index) Calculator here.
Shortcomings of BMI
While a BMI calculator can serve as a helpful guide, it’s important to note that it’s by no means perfect. Here are a few reasons why…
- In reality, not everyone’s “healthy” BMI will be the same.
- It doesn’t take into account the density differences between muscle and fat.
- It doesn’t take sex or age into consideration. For a calculator that does, see our BAI Calculator.
- It doesn’t take the distribution of fat into consideration.
- It isn’t suitable for everyone (e.g. pregnant women.)
How BMI Is Calculated
Adult BMI calculators are calculated slightly differently depending on whether you’re using a metric or imperial measurement.
- For the metric system the calculation is weight / height2
- For the imperial system the calculation is ( weight / height2 ) * 703